Haraka, Hina, and Yuna’s Stories

HARAKA 

My name is Haraka. I’m 16 years old and attend West Ishinomaki High School. My family consists of my mother, father, and little sister. My favorite food to eat is salmon, and I like reading comics, listening to music, and playing table tennis. In school, my favorite subjects are English and history.

When I want to grow up, I want to be a nurse. I have an illness where my body is not able grow tall. A lot of people in the duration of my life have helped me because of this, and I want to do my part in giving back by being a nurse. To be a nurse, I want to stay in Ishinomaki and go to a vocational school here.

Another reason I would like to stay is because I think the food in Ishinomaki is delicious, and I love the nature surrounding and engulfed in the city. I am interested in a lot of the events that happen in Ishinomaki as well — mainly the summer festivals that are geared towards reintroducing vitality. People are invited from overseas to these festivals for brainstorming and an exchange of ideas. People seek to take lessons from overseas to incorporate into the festivals they do here. I like to study and observe the effects of those festivals on the well being of Ishinomaki, my city.

HINA

My name is Hina. I’m 16 years old and a second-year student at West Ishinomaki High School. I’m a member of the English Appreciation Club. I’ve lived in Ishinomaki my entire life. I love the great food here and how the city is surrounded by the ocean and mountains.

My normal day consists of studying and watching TV. I like watching American dramas like NCIS and Bridget Jones’ Diary. I joined the English Appreciation Club because I want to study English in New York one day. After graduating high school, I want to go attend college in Tokyo and study law. When I’m older, I want to join the police force. I like how there are many opportunities to experience in Tokyo.

I was 11 years old at the time of the disaster. I was in elementary school and we were all cleaning the classroom when the earthquake occurred. I was scared and didn’t know what was going on so I started crying. I went home and met up with my mother and little sister. The power lines had been damaged and there was a blackout. I didn’t realize what was going on until one of my neighbors started shouting, “There’s a tsunami!” After the tsunami was over, all I could see around my house was water. It looked like a lake in the middle of the neighborhood. The entire time, I felt surprised and caught off guard by the whole event. The next morning, my grandparents came home and I felt an immense sense of relief. We’d been unable to contact them before then.

The rebuilding process wasn’t as hard for us as some of the other people in my neighborhood. The tsunami didn’t wash away my house, so I’m actually still living in the same house as I was before the disaster. My mom used to be a housewife before, but after the earthquake, she became an administrator at a construction company.

YUNA

My name is Yuna, and I am sixteen years old. I am in the English Appreciation Club at school because I want to learn to speak English well. In school, my favorite subject is music. I played the trumpet in junior high. After high school I plan on being a beautician; it seems really fun. 

My hobbies are listening to music, watching TV, and watching movies. I listen to both English music and Japanese music. My favorite music artist is Arashi and my favorite TV show is Variety. I like Disney movies like Beauty and the Beast, but I have not seen the new version yet. I also like Spiderman.

I have lived in Ishinomaki my whole life. My favorite thing about Ishinomaki is that it’s close to the sea. I live with my mom and dad in a house by the ocean. Although I like Ishinomaki, I want to go to Tokyo. I have never been there, but I am taken with the idea of a big city. Eventually I want to travel to the U.S., too.