LJ’s Story

Right now, I’m a senior in high school. Which means that this is my last year before freedom, my last year before hardship. Well, it’s not like I haven’t faced hardships before, but this will be a different type of hardship. By next year, I’ll probably be somewhere in this same building, still building robots, still with DHDC.

This morning, I woke up, laid in bed for a while contemplating life, got up, got dressed, and came here to DHDC. I have work at 4 after this. I’ve been coming here since I was 3 or 4 years old. My grandmother runs this place, so I was born into DHDC. It’s kind of like my birthright. My grandmother, Angela Reyes, is the most influential person in my life.

I like it here because I like building robots and hanging out with my friends. Outside of DHDC, I like playing video games like Battlefield and The Witcher 3.

Looking at Ishinomaki reminds me of Delray in Detroit. This city is cancer; it’s not bad but it’s bad. You can’t get away from it, there’s nowhere else to go. Eventually you have to come back because you can’t leave this place. I want to better myself and then better this city.

Living in Detroit has been a very important factor in me growing up. I realized recently that being here, I’m a minority. Detroit is on a border and it’s industrial, so it has potential to become better. I don’t want it to be like this in the future; I want to be one of the people who make it better in the future.

If I could tell the world one thing about me that I’d want everyone to know, it would be that when I was seven, my mom left my dad so I didn’t get to be a child. I skipped all of my childhood and grew up before I had the chance to be a kid. I know that I can’t do anything about it anymore, so I must better myself now. They took a lot away from me, but I’m trying to fix that by myself now.