Nick’s Story

By next year, I’ll have turned 19, be done with senior year, and have a new FIRST competition theme to look forward to. I’ll have the same beard, will probably be wearing the same shirt, and will still be making fun of Servando’s voice. And I’ll probably still have my ink. Oh, unless someone skins me.

Today, I woke up, looked at the time, went back to bed, woke up again, played on my phone, got off my phone, laid in bed for half an hour, took a shower, started cleaning while listening to music—I’m really into cleanliness, started playing Dark Souls III, and then came here to DHDC to work on a personal project. I’m building a telegraph.

I remember when I was hanging out here, this lady asked me, “What are you doing here?” I told her that DHDC “was my home.” I was offended. I came to DHDC for a job and just never left. At DHDC, I enjoy teasing Servando, playing foosball, and cracking jokes. Although I think I should start learning how to be professional. I like working in the machine shop.

Outside of DHDC, I like to play video games, watch Friends, and play with my dog. But DHDC is life for me. Before, I would just go to school, play video games, go to bed, and be a piece of crap.

Looking at clips of ITNAV reminded me of DHDC. I get the same feel here. There are learning opportunities and a similar atmosphere.

When I first moved to Detroit, the city became a seed that grew inside me, and burrowed into my life at school and DHDC. I wasn’t doing so well in school at first. After coming to DHDC and improving myself due to the atmosphere, my grades grew.

Detroit will be a big part of my future in spite of what I go do or how I plan to be successful. I will always have a foot in the city. I’ve moved around a lot and, unlike other places, Detroit has become a home to me, despite having a bad reputation. It made my life better. I have a sentimental debt to the city and want to be able to come back in the future.

If I could tell the world one thing, I’d say that there’s always going to be hardship in everything you want to do and giving up is never going to make it easier. I came up with this motto in my Algebra classes. Everyone says that freshman year is important and to not mess it up; I messed up because I had no comprehension of math. After I came to DHDC, I received help from Erick and began to understand Algebra 2. Erick told me to not second-guess myself and that I was more capable than I thought I was. The next day, I went to class and looked at the board, looked at the teacher, and suddenly it all came together like pieces of a puzzle. After that, there was no more difficulty. Without Erick’s words, I would still have Fs in Algebra. Eric is one of our former mentors here at DHDC; “mentor” isn’t really credible enough, though. He’s more like an older brother. He’s definitely the most influential person in my life.