Servando’s Story

My name is Servando Garza. My favorite colors are a really dark blue and a standard orange. I actually have a shirt that has both. I’m a sophomore at Cass Technical High School. Most of my friends were going to Western High School but of course I wanted to be different. The earliest memory I can think of is when I was about 3 feet tall, playing with some sheep with my younger brother. When I say younger, I mean by a few minutes. We’re twins. My family consists of him, and my parents. My parents are from Nuevo Leon which is in northern Mexico, close to the border. I’d say we’re a close family. We like watching sports that come on — mainly baseball — and joking around. I was born in the U.S., along with my younger brother, and I speak enough Spanish to communicate, but not enough to have really deep conversations. I actually took Spanish class recently, even though I’m a native-speaker, and it had a teacher who made me go around the class and make sure everyone was speaking in Spanish. I basically took over his job.

My earliest memory TODAY is getting up, eating breakfast, and doing some homework afterward — mainly chemistry. The chemistry teacher I have is really difficult. I get along with her occasionally, but it’s hard when the work she gives is really annoying. I think I’m more of a math/analytical person. In my future, I want to study computer science. Why? I like computers. I don’t know what exactly it is with computers but I just know it will deal with that. Computer hardware or software or whatever. I’m really good with them too and most of my time is spent on computers. A few times, I went on my friend’s computer and closed down all the tabs to annoy him and sometimes, if they have a Windows, I turn the home screen upside down. I did that to my mom too, and she got mad. She thought it was a virus. I think my favorite TV show is Naruto — I finished it recently, and now I’m watching Dragon Ball Z. I guess I’m into the mainstream anime. My brother’s more of the other kind of anime. I just like watching what I watched growing up as a kid. I was in Mexico before and I was watching Dragon Ball Z. Naruto came on afterward and since then .. it just stuck. I remember playing on my Playstation 2 (the Dragon Ball games) and I still play it to this day.

I come to DHDC almost every day — Monday through Thursday, and Saturdays. I got involved in DHDC through my mom. She told me about it and one day about a year ago, we came down, and I ended up joining the robotics team. My life revolves around DHDC now; robotics is everything I do. If I’m not doing robotics, I concentrate on my homework there and if I’m not doing homework, I’m playing games. Games are pretty big here, at least with Nick and I. We play foosball, which I am the BEST at. Occasionally air hockey (again, with Nick). I also played an 8 player ping pong game once. It started off with a few people, and then there was more and more people getting involved after watching for a while. That was fun, but I can admit, I’m not a big ping-pong person. The friends I have here are really fun. We joke a lot too, at least within our group. Cristian’s eyebrows are a HUGE example. Outside of DHDC, I mainly listen to music, and play racing and shooting video games. My favorite song right now is Cinderella Song by Eminem. I’m not so into the mainstream rap and hip hop. Lil Yachty and Lil Uzi aren’t my thing. I can say with DHDC and school, I ended up having two groups of friends. I see both groups of friends the same amount of time and I’ve gotten close to both my DHDC group and school friends. I learned to balance it all.