The Adventure Begins…

When the calendar showed May 7th, I didn’t really know what to expect. I’m not the most organized person so I did the packing last minute and unfortunately had no sleep, and no sleep that day. However, when the plane from Detroit to Toronto first ascended I felt a feeling of joy I would describe as feeling a kid again. I would continuously look out the window and think to myself, “I am above the clouds and everything looks so tiny. I wonder if birds see us on the ground in the same way”. Alongside the feeling of joy was a feeling of worry which increased every time there was a sudden shake on the plane. I didn’t want my first flight to be my last.

After arriving at Narita airport, the real challenge presented itself and that was making it to the hotel. The scenario was exacerbated due to the fact that I somehow last track of my traveling group of Anju and Malik. I couldn’t see them so I just assumed they went ahead. It was difficult to communicate with the Japanese workers but I found that using hand gestures was effective. Sure saying that “I need to go to Nippori Station” might not work, but if one points outside and says “Nippori” there is a good chance that somebody will understand.  Then, I managed to get to reach Nippori.

Once I got to Nippori station, I was confused as to how to leave the station. I haven’t seen a subway system quite like Japan’s. I eventually learned how to leave after observing many customers exiting. However, when I left the station the GPS wasn’t working so I ultimately wondered around for 2+ hours in the rain until I found the hotel. I learned that when traveling with others, it is best to stick together.